In order to be a successful Online PhD Engineering Science candidate, prospective students must have a sound understanding of mathematical and scientific principles behind engineering. Students enrolled in any accredited online doctoral programs in Engineering Science will need exceptional research, design, mathematical, analytical and theoretical skills. One of the best descriptions of what an online Engineering Science doctorate program is all about can be found on the Georgia Tech University School of Civil and Environmental Engineering website. They state that a doctorate in Engineering Science is a valuable tool for those from any engineering background who want to pursue a highly specialized area within the subject and make a significant contribution to that particular field. Most students pursuing an online doctoral degree in Engineering Science are required to complete central doctoral courses, pass written and oral qualifying examinations, and create original research in order to attain their doctorate. Since Engineering Science is such a diverse field, there is a multitude of Master Degrees that qualify a student for the pursuit of an online doctorate. Completing an online doctorate in Engineering Science will typically take two to four years depending on the program and the direction taken. At the end of the program, students are required to write a dissertation that sums up their study.
About Online PhD in Engineering Science
One of the most appealing points in pursuing an online doctorate in Engineering Science is the diversity of subject material that can be studied. Harvard University’s School of Engineering and Applied Sciences provides a list of programs that make up their Engineering Science program. Most notably, the field includes anything from Environmental Engineering, Bioengineering, Electrical Engineering and Aerospace Engineering, to name just a few. Currently, the landscape of online Engineering Science degrees is relatively sparse, due in part to the amount of engineering specializations that fall under the Engineering Science umbrella. Below, is a list of courses offered at Harvard University’s School of Engineering and Applied Sciences that can be found in the linke previously mentioned above. While curriculum will vary from program to program, it can provide prospective students with a basis of what online PhD in Engineering Science curriculums will be like.
- Advanced Cellular Engineering. This course develops and applies scaling laws and the methods of continuum mechanics to biomechanical phenomena over a range of length scales. Examples of topics covered in the class include the structure of tissues and the molecular basis for macroscopic properties, chemical and electrical effects on mechanical behavior, and cell mechanics.
- Physical Mathematics. Students in this course will be provided with an introduction to methods for developing accurate approximate solutions for problems in the sciences that cannot be solved exactly, and the integration with numerical methods and solutions.
- Advanced Tissue Engineering. Students in this course will study the fundamental engineering and biological principles underlying field of tissue engineering, along with examples and strategies to engineer specific tissues for clinical use. Student design teams prepare a research proposal and participate in a weekly laboratory.
- Advanced Fluid Dynamics. This course teaches the theories and science behind fluid flow and the natural science of liquids and gases in motion. Also teaches students an introduction to turbulence, lift and drag, surface tension driven flows.
- Practical Scientific Computing. This course provides students a survey of pratical numerical solution techniques for ordinary and partial differential equations. Emphasis is put on the implementation of numerical schemes to practical problems in engineering and physical sciences.
- Solid Mechanics. This course introduces students to the fundamental principles and methods of structural mechanics such as static equilibrium, force resultants, support conditions and strains and stresses in structural elements for example.
Online PhD in Counseling Education students should expect to produce several original writings throughout the year to prepare for their final doctoral dissertation. Dissertation topics should focus on developing new, or improving existing techniques in engineering. Prospective students can find a list of completed Engineering Doctoral <ahref=”http://cee.mit.edu/theses”>theses through the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Department of Civil and Environment Engineering for dissertation topic ideas.
Value and Criticisms of a PhD in Counseling Education
Like most online programs, the biggest value in pursuing an online PhD in Engineering Science is that it allows students the ability to continue to pursue their careers while furthering their education. This can be particularly helpful to those currently working as counselors who are seeking to make a transition into full time postsecondary education. Another valuable aspect of pursuing on online Engineering Science doctoral degree is that they are typically much shorter to complete compared to traditional campus-based programs. Most campus based programs take four to six years to complete depending on the institution and program. One disadvantage of pursuing an online doctorate in Engineering Science is currently there are very few programs available. Also, those who are not interested in using the degree to teach on a postsecondary level may want to pursue actual experience in the work field, as in most cases it is a better way to advance.
Application & Admission Requirements
When applying for an online doctorate in Engineering Science, all applicants will need to send in a completed application, a current resume, all undergraduate and graduate transcripts, any applicable test scores (including the GMAT), and, in most cases, a personal mission statement or essay. The mission statement, or essay depending on the program, outlines the applicant’s professional goals and any applicable research, work or academic experience that applies to the program. Schools will use the mission statement or essay to determine an applicant’s strengths and interest in the program. Online Engineering Science PhD candidates must have at least a bachelor’s degree, but most will require a master’s degree as well. Most applicants enter doctoral programs with master’s degrees in engineering or other more specific engineering programs such as mechanical, biomedical, civil, chemical, or electrical engineering. Prospective candidates into an online PhD Program in Engineering Science may have experience in related fields such as Physical Science, Technology, and Mathematics.
Career Options & Job Market
Once a student has earned an online doctorate in Engineering Science there is a vast array of research, technology-related, teaching, management, consultant and leadership opportunities available to them in a variety of engineering fields. Some engineers may work in the fields of software engineering, nuclear engineering, aerospace engineering or astronautics. According to the United States Bureau of Labor and Statistics, Engineering Science doctoral degree holders who go on to teach at the <ahref=”http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes251032.htm “>postsecondary levelearn an average annual income of $89,670 as of May 2008. Another popular career one can pursue is in Biomedical Engineering. This specialization focuses on applying engineering methods with medical science to develop advances in cardiovascular, skeletal or pharmacology. Average annual income for <ahref=”http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes172031.htm”> Biomedical Engineerswas more than $82,550 as of May 2008. Another major advantage of pursuing a career in Biomedical Engineering is the extremely rapid job growth. The Bureau expects the field to grow by 72 percent through 2018, much faster than the 11 percent growth expected growth of the industry as a whole. Doctoral degree holders would also stand a better change at becoming managers and executives within the field as well.
Where to Find Information
- Engineering .com – The Engineer’s Ultimate Resource
- Bureau of Labor and Statistics – Engineering
- Bureau of Labor and Statistics – Postsecondary Educators
- U.S. News College Directory – Engineering Science
How to Get Funding
Tuition costs for an online doctorate in Engineering at the Walden University are $4,380 per quarter for Self-Directed or Mixed-Model Specializations or $535 per quarter credit hour for course-based specializations. Engineering students at Walden should also plan for four, four-day residencies costing $935 each. While costs will probably rise from year to year, and will differ slightly by school and program, the figures mentioned above should give prospective students a good idea of what to expect for tuition costs. One important step to consider when applying to any doctoral program, apply for Federal Student Aid through the <ahref=”http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/index.jsp#”>FAFSA website. FAFSA can help provide low-interest loans and grants that can be a tremendous help when trying to pay for a doctoral studies. Prospective students can also look into the following scholarship opportunities as well.
- <ahref=”http://ndseg.asee.org/ “>National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate FellowshipAs a means of increasing the number of U.S. citizens and nationals trained in science and engineering disciplines of military importance, the Department of Defense awards approximately 200 new three-year graduate fellowships a year, subject to the availability of funds. The DoD will offer these fellowships to individuals who have demonstrated the ability and special aptitude for advanced training in science and engineering.
- Commitment to Social Change Scholarship. Offered through Walden University, this scholarship is available to new students who are inspired to have a positive impact on their organization, community and world.
- David Palmer Military Scholarship. This scholarship is offered through Walden University to enrolled doctoral students who have been on active duty with a branch of the U.S. armed forces for at least a year.
- Weigh your options and do the research. You’ll need to know for sure whether an additional degree will increase your earning potential more than a bachelor’s or master’s degree in a similar field would.
- Try to obtain a scholarship, fellowship or grant. Studying at a PhD level is costly, and you may not be able to predict how many years it will take you to complete it.
- Professional associations are a great way to gain knowledge about your field of choice. In order to gain exposure to great resources for business professionals, professors, and other potential fields within organizational leadership, join an association.
- Talk to current PhD candidates and graduates about course load, time management, what admission materials they submitted, and so on. This is the best way to learn if the program is right for you.