Students who are looking to pursue an online PhD in Management through Environmental and Social Sustainability do so to develop the advanced skills they will need to work in environmentally friendly and green management settings. Some of these skills and concepts include those in environmental education, climate changes, environmental social justice, and conservation. The online Management through Environmental and Social Sustainability PhD typically takes students between 4-5 years to complete and is heavily research based, with students taking courses that will allow them to emphasize the relationship between society, the environment, and the role peoples’ decisions play in affecting communal longevity. Throughout the course of working on a online Management through Environmental and Social Sustainability doctorate, students are responsible for observing trends and practices in green and environmentally friendly management settings, conducting and documenting research in the field, and preparing themselves for the challenges associated with integrating technology with green planning. Students are encouraged to research and work on concepts, knowledge, and principals leading up to a dissertation, which is a lengthy book-style analysis of research, findings, opinions and expertise in the field. Producing a dissertation is a requirement in order to complete the PhD program and earn an online doctorate in Management through Environmental and Social Sustainability.
About Online PhD Programs in Management through Environmental and Social Sustainability
Students who pursue online doctorate programs in Management through Environmental and Social Sustainability will be equipped for managing green initiatives and conservation organizations. The best online doctorate in Management through Environmental and Social Sustainability degrees require students to incorporate online studies into their overall daily planning schedule. This includes collaborating with their fellow peers through online chat discussions to generate ideas about research on green management and social justice. Students who pursue this Management through Environmental and Social Sustainability PhD program online course of study are familiar with online prerequisites and core requirements, popular theories on green management, environmental case studies, risk management, contemporary conservation practices, and natural history. In order to fully understand these concepts, students are likely required to take part in or submit projects and/or assignments that show knowledge in green management, environmental conservation, and resource management. For example, students in online PhD programs in Management through Environmental and Social Sustainability will likely be required to analyze environmental management and/or issues research in a journal or study and critique that information with their own thoughts, knowledge, and findings through a research paper or essay as part of their assignment requirements.
- Fundamentals of Management. This course is intended to teach students about classic and current management literature and help them to become familiar with current management theories and practices.
- Research and Writing I. This course introduces students to developing competence in research methods as well as the different research types and techniques they will need to know. It also prepares them with the skills they will need to present research through writing.
- Research Methods and Design. In this course, students will learn about quantitative, qualitative, and mixed-method research theories and applications they will need to understand the importance of theory in research. Students will learn how to conduct various types of research, how to produce knowledge from it, and will be able to compile research at an advanced level to be able to apply it to green managerial settings.
- Qualitative and Ethnographic Methods. Students in this course will learn the study of culture and social organization through observation and will develop qualitative research skills such as interviewing and taking useful research information and notes.
- Research and Writing: Action Research Theory. Through this course, students will be able to experience cycles in action research in a complex organization, which will help them develop the skills they will need to advance in research studies and writing.
- Quantitative Methods. This course provides students with the concepts and skills they will need to understand data analysis and applying methods and statistical concepts to research.
- Philosophy of Science, Values, and Ethics. Students taking this course will learn the views and styles of management and sustainability through ethical and philosophical considerations.
- Leadership. This course is designed to allow students to develop a leadership style based on ethical and philosophical consideration, develop policies and plans for management and sustainability, and apply leadership skills to environmental issues.
- Policy and Governance in Trans-Organizational. Students in this course will be able to develop a plan for implementing roles within an organization relating to the field. They will also learn how to frame policy agendas for creating organizational collaboration among businesses, government, and advocacy organizations.
- Strategic Thinking for ESS. In this course, students will learn how to effectively implement and manage change through strategic design and research.
- Advanced Action Research for ESS. With the skills learned in this course, students will be able to contribute to management literature through reviews, practitioner articles, and research as it relates to the field.
- Futuring and Innovation in ESS. Students in this course will be taught how to predict future trends in environmental issues and management through effective research and qualitative methods.
The types of exams that students will be responsible for mastering in PhD programs will depend on the actual program and professor of specific courses, but many PhD professors give comprehensive style exams, which are designed to test students on learned material throughout the semester and/or year. The final part to earning a online doctorate degree in Management through Environmental and Social Sustainability is to produce a dissertation about knowledge and experiences learned in the field. The final dissertation of a PhD student serves as a means for the student to show what he or she has learned in theories, research capabilities, interests, and opinions related to environmental issues and management. For example, past dissertation topics in the field have included an analysis of laws on climate change, ozone protection and popular participation in natural resources management, and environmental concerns of international economic institutions. A dissertation is generally lengthy and includes evaluations and critiques in management styles as they relate to environmental management, conflicts and solutions to environmental issues, and thoughts for further implementing policies and procedures for green practices in the workplace.
Value and Criticisms of a PhD in Management through Environmental and Social Sustainability
Graduates of an online PhD Management through Environmental and Social Sustainability degree will have the skills and knowledge they will need to be prepared and qualified for top careers in the field. Earning this particular degree online will afford students the opportunity to maintain their job experience without interruption, train for advanced studies in management and environmental issues to expand their capacity, and improve their team management skills. As many businesses and organizations strive to keep updated with ever-changing technology, it is important for managers and leaders in the workplace to understand how to use tools, technology, and computer systems to maximize environmentally friendly practices. Doctoral degrees in Management through Environmental and Social Sustainability online can be extremely beneficial to these people because pursuing an online PhD gives students the advanced research skills and knowledge of Web navigation and tools to maximize production in the workplace. A possible downside to earning a Management through Environmental and Social Sustainability PhD online is that the degree is not widespread online and only offered at a few universities.
Application & Admission Requirements
The specific admission requirements for online PhD degrees in Management through Environmental and Social Sustainability are likely to vary between learning institutions, but there are some general requirements for PhD students to keep in mind. Students who wish to pursue a Management through Environmental and Social Sustainability doctorate degree online should have already earned at least a bachelor’s degree, with some programs requiring a master’s degree as well. These degrees should be from a university or learning institution that is accredited and have a concentration in environmental engineering, business administration, social psychology, human development, environmental sciences, or a closely related discipline. Most online doctoral programs in Management through Environmental and Social Sustainability will require that students also have at least three years work experience in a management or environmental sciences related field and three reference letters with other requirements being school-specific. For example, The University of Phoenix also requires that interested PhD candidates have a subscription to a research library. Interested students must submit an application to the appropriate department, usually an admissions department, and await approval into the program.
Career Options & Job Market
Graduates of online PhD programs in Management through Environmental and Social Sustainability can go on to pursue a number of careers in the field. Some of the career fields that online Management through Environmental and Social Sustainability PhD students can pursue include (but are not limited to): those that relate to government, education, business, management, environmental conservation, environmental management, and pollution control. Some of the specific careers that online PhD Management through Environmental and Social Sustainability graduate students can pursue include (but are not limited to): professor, environmental specialist, management consultant, engineering and natural sciences manager, or sustainability manager. Graduates of online doctoral programs in Management through Environmental and Social Sustainability should have good job opportunities as careers in the field are in relatively high demand. In fact, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of Environmental Specialists is expected to grow much faster than the average occupation, increasing by 28% over the next several years. The Bureau also reported that the employment of Engineering and Natural Sciences Managers is expected to grow as fast as the average occupation, adding more than 18,000 jobs to the field over the next several years.
Where to Find Information
- The United States Environmental Protection Agency serves as a resource for offering guidance and assistance for developing and maintaining environmental management systems that will enable leaders and managers to assess their performance and determine the costs of managing and minimizing waste.
- National Association of Environmental Professionals This site is dedicated to both professionals in the field and those interested in the field as a resource for current events, announcements, events, foundations, publications, and the like that are related to environmental topics, promotion, and issues.
- U.S. Department of Energy This government department has an Office of Environmental Management that has a mission to promote safe practices, policies, and procedures to reduce risk and environmental liabilities.
- Elsevier Journal of Environmental Management This journal is a compilation of research by scientists, and health and information professionals for all types of management and the managed use of environments and issues.
How to Get Funding
As many undergraduate and graduate students rely on student loans to help ease the cost of their education, so do PhD students. Financial aid assistance is available to students interested in aid, as tuition costs can very between schools. For example at The University of Phoenix, tuition is $770 per credit hour for PhD students, while the tuition rate at Colorado Technical University is $635 per credit hour. Students who are interested in pursuing an online PhD in Management through Environmental and Social Sustainability have the option of applying for federal loans for tuition assistance, but also have the option of applying for scholarships or grant money, which also helps with tuition costs but does not need to be paid back.
- Scholar-Guide.com. This website offers search tools for scholarships and grants for specialized fields and offers students looking to earn a PhD in environmental sciences scholarship opportunities.
- Grants.Gov. Grants.Gov serves as a resource to help students find and apply for federal grants. The site has plenty of information concerning grants and students can find various opportunities available depending on degree type and program.
- Andrew W. Mellon Foundation / ACLS Early Career Fellowship Program. This foundation aids humanities and social sciences PhD students with covering university fees, research fees, and completing their dissertations.
- Students that are still unsure of whether a PhD degree in Management through Environmental and Social Sustainability is the right choice for them are strongly encouraged to speak to current and past PhD students in the field to get a better feel of what the program as a whole entails.
- Before committing to a PhD program, students are encouraged to conduct plenty of research on the courses that will be taken, the jobs that can be pursued, the demand for jobs, industry trends, and salary information related to those jobs.
- A PhD program, in any field, is rigorous and requires students to be extremely disciplined, hardworking, and dedicated to their studies. Recent graduates in need of a break or interested students with families or other time-consuming commitments should be sure they have the time it takes to dedicate to their studies before applying to a PhD program.
- Once in a PhD program, it is important for students to have a reliable, attentive, and knowledgeable advisor or mentor to help with questions and issues that may arise along the way.